I finished up the 1st phase of this project over a week ago but kept forgetting to take a daytime picture. The pictures I took aren't the best (because I took them in the early morning) but whatever. A photographer I am not!
Over a year ago (yeah, that long), I repainted the spindles and the lower part of the railing. It too was that honey oak we all hate. I couldn't decide what to do about the top part of the railing so it just stayed that way. I had no interest in sanding the railing and re-staining it - too messy. And I wasn't sure if using regular paint was the way to go. Then one day I came across milk paint and how it's the preferred paint to redo furniture - it was the perfect solution!
So here we are before:
SO MUCH BETTER!!
And The Husband agrees!
It does appear that milk paint is hard to find in a store so I just ordered it. I used "Dark Chocolate" (brown) because I felt black would be too dark (lol) ... and I was right. As you can see, the dark chocolate looks black in photos. I am very, very, very happy with how it turned out!
Here's what I did, step-by-step:
1. Thoroughly cleaned the to-be-painted area with clorox wipes.
2. Painter's tape is your friend - use it!
3. Using a clean rag, carefully wiped paint deglosser on the to-be-painted area. Allow it to dry for about 15 minutes - it dries fast.
4. Apply the milk paint with a foam brush. Depending on the coverage you get, you will need 2-3 coats. It dries very fast. But I did let the area dry overnight before I did Step 5.
5. Apply the polyurethane top coat (flat) with a foam brush. Don't over brush, but work carefully to get a smooth even finish.
Here's a link to the paint products I used:
This project isn't quite done. I still have 2 sections of railing on the 2nd floor to complete. I hope to get that completed during the month of September.
Milk paint for the win!!