March 17, 2015

Diet Coke

I wasn't a big soda drinker when I was kid. I didn't like the carbonation in any soda and when I had a soda, a few sips is all I would take. I didn't find it thirst quenching at all. I remember drinking juice, water or my mother's homemade iced tea.

Fast forward to my twenties and I wouldn't drink regular soda because all the sugar in it so diet soda seemed like my best friend. And it was, I guess, to a certain extent but I didn't drink it all the time. When I entered the work force, drinking diet soda became a 2-3pm habit as a pick-me-up in the afternoon. Again, I chose diet soda because I didn't want to drink the calories - I'd rather eat them.

Many people drink diet soda as a excuse so they can indulge elsewhere. That was never me. I just didn't want to drink the sugar. I've been able to maintain a healthy weight for my height but as I stare age 42 in the face, I can't deny that my body is changing and not for the better.

I try my best to eat well and restrict the junk but it's hard. I know my body and if I let down my guard for five seconds, I will gain weight. I enjoyed a lazy winter and spent a lot of time on the couch under a warm blanket watching movies with my kids but I gained 7 pounds doing that while eating a salad with cucumber, chicken and a light dressing for lunch almost every day. I watch the carbs and either skip the starchy side or have a very small portion of it and it still doesn't matter.  In the end, it's all about calorie consumption but shit, is 1,200 or less a day the only way to lose weight? That seems to be the only way that works for me!  I have no excuse for not making it to the gym a few times a week other than it was just too damn cold to leave the house.

Anyway, back to the soda ... I know diet soda isn't good for you. I've read all the articles. I've tried to give up Diet Coke before and I think I lasted about 2 months. What is in that stuff?!  I don't even drink it every day but knowing it's an option is where the temptation lies. I think it's time to give it up for good and see if anything changes.  The weather is starting to be nicer and I enjoyed a very long walk with the puppy on Sunday.

Recommended weight for my height is between 128-133 pounds. Now I'm depressed. I need to lose a good 15lbs to be in the vicinity of those numbers. 

Sometimes I wish I didn't care what the number on the scale says. But I do. I long for a day when I don't care and it doesn't matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.