October 8, 2014

Soccer Themed Birthday Party

Boo's birthday was this past weekend so we had our normal family dinner celebration. The weather ended up being perfectly chilly for the menu - Chili & Cheesesteaks - so it worked out perfectly!



Appetizers were pretzel bites, tomato-basil-mozzerella on toothpicks drizzled with a balsamic glaze (which we ended up calling them "Tomato People,") and Loaded Baked Potato Bites. Everyone loved them. You can find the recipes here:

TBM Bites

Loaded Baked Potato Bites

I'm proud to say I made this soccer cake myself, using black fondant to make the hexagon shapes. If I had tried to freehand this part, it would have been disastrous.


Speaking of disastrous, my wonderful German Shepherd almost ate the cake. I had just finished cleaning everything up and was in the process of mixing a batch of cornbread when I turned around to see his paws up on the table and he was licking, eating - and oh my god I'm going to kill him - but as I screamed, he jumped back down and he had only licked the chocolate writing off the cardboard. Thank God!! Needless to say, he was banished to the backyard until I was completely done in the kitchen and could place the cake in a safe place.  This dog has such a taste for chocolate it's almost ridiculous, especially since dogs are not supposed to eat chocolate!

Another birthday in the books and this one was bittersweet as my youngest son reached double digits and will ascend into tweendom soon. Give me strength!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.