August 21, 2014

New Kitchen Table

I've been wanting to purchase a new kitchen table for some time. The one we had was a rushed purchase when we moved into this house almost 6 years ago. At the time, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a table that I knew my children would beat up because they were 6 & 4 years old. That $250 table held up surprisingly well but it was time for a change.

Initially I thought I wanted an island in my kitchen and since a kitchen makeover isn't in the cards right now, I started looking at the various "kitchen carts" that are available. There are A LOT. In many different sizes and styles.

I finally settled on one from Ikea. I even taped out the dimensions of the island on my kitchen floor to get a feel for the size. I thought it would work. I was excited for it to work!

However, when I got it home and started assembling it I realized pretty quickly it was going to be too big, massively too big. (I also must note how EASY this thing was to put together. It is sturdy too. I'm very happy with the quality!)  I was determined to at least give it a shot and live with it in the "island spot" in my kitchen for a few days.

It just didn't work. Maybe I'm just too used to having an open kitchen with no island in the way? In the mean time, I decided it would make a fabulous kitchen table!  We sawed out the supports for the two shelves on the back side of the island-turned-table and I was suddenly in love.


It has a butcher block top that I had to lightly sand and seal. The stools have swivel tops and were found on Target.com ... total of $88 shipped for 4 pre-assembled stools!! Can you say a-w-e-s-o-m-e?

We love our new, updated, casual dining kitchen table!



1 comment:

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.