March 18, 2014

She's Sick

Our visit to the Vet did not deliver good news. Zoe was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney disease. It's a fairly common problem in older cats but caught me completely off guard. The only symptom that anything was wrong was some weight loss but it wasn't a lot.  But I suppose a 2 pound loss in a 12 pound cat is considered problematic.

We've started twice-weekly fluid treatments to attempt to make her kidneys work and she's getting an appetite stimulant pill too.  The crazy thing is she looks and acts completely fine. No changes in her behavior at home at all which makes this all the worse since the diagnosis is terminal. Her kidneys will shut down and her organs will start to fail. It's not an if, it's a when. So I'm having a hard time processing all of this because she doesn't appear sick!

She's been extra affectionate too. I think she knows I'm trying to help her feel better. I won't let her suffer though so I'm prepared to make the humane decision when the time comes. I hope she tells me when that time is here.

I'm going to attempt to give her the fluid treatment tonight, instead of taking her to the Vet. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.