February 21, 2014

Kindle Fire Woes

Last year Boo wanted a laptop in the worst way. At the time he was 8 years old. Buying an laptop for an 8 year old seemed wrong. We have a family computer so he didn't need his own. He wanted the laptop for the sole purpose of playing Minecraft. We stood firm and said no, so he saved his money and bought a tablet computer. Enter the Kindle Fire.

It is a nice device, it's fast, and has a bright screen. We brought it home, set it up, and immediately put it in an Otter Box for protection. He played with it off and on for about 2 months and then it got put in a drawer and forgotten about. Typical.

As Christmas was approaching and I signed up for an Amazon Prime trial subscription, we pulled out the Kindle Fire hoping to take advantage of the Amazon Prime perks. But the Kindle would not charge. We tried various cords and outlets and sometimes it would charge but it would take f-o-r-e-v-e-r and then you would start to use it and the battery would drain almost immediately. We tried resetting it. We'd let it sit and try everything all over again. Nothing worked.

So I finally called Kindle Customer Service to report the problem. It was our lucky day. The one year warranty was still in effect so they would ship us out a "new" one right away.  I wasn't sure what new meant, if it would actually be new or not but I was happy to be receiving a replacement, especially since our Kindle hadn't been used much and I was certain it had not been damaged in any way.

The new Kindle arrived yesterday. It wasn't new but refurbished. As long as it works, great, right? HA. The "new" Kindle Fire that was shipped would not turn on either!  I tried plugging it in, the Kindle Fire screen would pop up like it was starting up and then the screen would go black. No indication the device was charging or if it needed to be charged. Are you kidding me?? 

So again, I called Kindle Customer Service. Now I have TWO defective Kindle Fire's in my possession. And yes, you guessed it, another one is being shipped out to me today. I wonder how many they will send me?

Keep your fingers crossed the third Kindle will be the charm. If not, I give up.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.