February 11, 2014

Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry

A few weeks ago I made a chicken and broccoli stir fry using a stir fry sauce from a jar. It was "all natural, no preservatives" with readable ingredients on the label but it did not go over well. So, I took to the internet to find a from-scratch stir fry sauce recipe.

I was feeling peppy last night when I got home from work so I decided to give the stir fry sauce recipe a try.


It looks good, right?

It was delicious! Here's what you do:

2/3 cup soy sauce (I used reduced sodium soy)
1/2 c chicken broth
1/3 c rice wine (I substituted 1/4 c apple cider vinegar)
3 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp ginger

Bring all of that to a boil. Meanwhile, dissolved 2 tbsp of cornstarch into 1/4 c of water. Once the sauce is boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the cornstarch/water mixture. This will thicken up the sauce.

In a separate pan, saute the chicken. Once the stir fry sauce is ready, add the sauce to the chicken, add the vegetables, and let that simmer for about 10 minutes.

For the vegetables, I used an Asian vegetable mix and an extra bag of broccoli. Both were the smaller "steam-ables" vegetable packages you can find in the frozen food section of your grocery store.

I wish I could say one of my children gave this a try. Before I added the sauce, I reserved some of the diced chicken and vegetables to serve to my boring son. He dipped the chicken in BBQ sauce. The other one ate chicken nuggets, as usual. I am a professional short order cook.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.