January 15, 2014

Laundry Rules

Doing laundry has to be one of the worst chores ever. I've always said that if I could afford to out-source this evil chore, I'd do it in a heart beat. I would glad pay someone else to wash, fold, and put away our laundry. 

The other morning my 11 year old, who is well on his way to teen-dom, asked "WHERE ARE ALL MY PANTS?" in a exasperated, you suck at being a mom tone because as you know, as the mom, I should spend all my free time doing laundry.  He didn't like my reply.

A very long time ago I came up with a system of doing laundry because as a mom who has always worked full-time, I felt like I was spending my entire weekend doing laundry. And that didn't quite seem fair, especially since The Husband was home all day long.  First and foremost, I told The Husband he was on his own. I don't do his laundry. Obviously if he needs something washed or started a load and didn't finish it, I will help him out. I'm not that heartless. But as far as keeping up with his laundry? Oh hell no. I have enough to worry about.

I still do the boy's laundry separately. I started doing it that way when they were babies and it just stuck. Why sort clothes and socks? It's easier, to me, to do it this way. And because they have a mother who is slightly addicted to shopping, they have more than enough clothes to sustain them for quite some time. I do their laundry every other week. Yep. Not a typo. I essentially do their laundry twice a month.  They wear pajamas more than once and have tall hampers in their closets. Sure, at the end of the second week that hamper is full. I have a large capacity washer - 2 loads, and it's done (2 loads per boy)  In the winter, there may be a 3rd load to do with bulkier items.

I do my own laundry the same way - every other week.  It might seem extreme but you know what? It works and makes it manageable for me instead of worrying about doing everyone's laundry every weekend. The added bonus is that is forces the boys to NOT wear the same things over and over and over.  It's genius if you ask me.  Sheets and towels are washed mid-week as needed because who cares if they sit in the dryer unfolded for three days. I surely don't.

So when Bud complained about having no (athletic) pants the other day, I said, "Oh really? Because I just cleaned out your closet the other day and you have 8 pairs of jeans hanging in your closet. Go get dressed."

Some people, however, take avoiding doing laundry to a whole new level. Consider this comment I came across:


Yeah, wow. I wash my jeans on average once every six months or so! They're so much more comfortable unwashed and don't get all shrunken or worn out so quickly. :)

Say whut?  Now that's gross. Think about where you sat in those pants over the past six months. Eww!! I'm surprised her pants aren't walking around on their own. I've had a few questionable looks when I've been asked about how I handle laundry but don't knock it until you've tried it. Anything stained gets pre-treated and if it's really bad, like a muddy set of clothes, I will wash things right away.  There are exceptions to my rules! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.