September 24, 2013

Apple Cider Doughnut Holes

I found this recipe in the October 2013 Rachael Ray magazine. All I had to do was read that apple cider was in ingredient and I was sold.  I gave them a test run this weekend and while they were good, they needed a little more sugar in the batter, in my opinion.



Recipe (as it was written):

1 cup apple cider
4 tbsp butter
1 egg
2 cups flour
6 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
- - - - - - - 
Cinnamon Sugar:
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
10 tbsp sugar

Step 1:  In a small saucepan, boil the cider until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 6-8 minutes.  I didn't measure it ... just boiled it for the time and what was left, was left!  Add the butter and stir until melted. Let cool.  Whisk in egg.

Step 2:  In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in cider mixture until just blended.

Step 3:  The directions tell you to fry the donuts, but I used my cake pop maker. Much healthier!  I dropped the batter by the teaspoon and shut the cake pop maker ... less than 5 minutes later I had perfectly round donuts!

Step 4:  Allow to cool and coated with cinnamon sugar.

They were good but like I said, when I make them again I will add more than 6 tbsp of sugar to the batter. I would add at least a 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.