August 9, 2013

Yard Sale!

Since my brain isn't working well at all this summer, I can't remember if I mentioned the massive basement cleanout I started a few weeks ago. My mother-in-law had called to tell me that her neighborhood was having a giant yard sale on August 10th in case I wanted to get rid of anything.

Umm, hells yeah!

And lucky for me, this phone call took place on an early Friday evening when it POURING outside and I had nothing better to do.  So I started pulling anything and everything out, going through it - what to keep, what to toss, and what to sell. The rest of the weekend I was holed up in the basement and by the time Sunday evening came around, I was done. 

In a word? It was liberating.

All the toys that my kids were no longer playing with - gone.

A few baby gear-items I had kept - gone.

Toy boxes - gone.

Books - gone

Puzzles - gone

Stuffed animals - gone

Bags and purses - gone

Games - gone

Sheets - gone

I went through e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, almost as if we were moving.  All that's left is a chest full of legos, 2 toy boxes (one full of nerf guns and the other with some random Hess trucks) and a bin of hot wheels cars.  

Now, before you freak and think I'm heartless ... the boys were involved in this process and on board with it. They are too involved with their ipods, sports, friends, and playing outside to be bothered with toys anymore.  I have kept some toys that were meaningful to them and they've been packed away in a few totes for awhile now.  Bud was heavy into Toy Story when you couldn't find Toy Story stuff in every store so I refuse to get rid of that stuff, along with the Scooby Doo toys.  I hunted long and hard for those toys! I also have a tote with some stuffed animals too.

The basement is like a dream now and I no longer have to worry about my (young) nieces and nephews making a giant mess down there anymore. There's enough to give them something to do but not enough to make a huge mess (which they have done in the past), a mess that we're left to clean up.

I have a decent amount of stuff I hope will sell at the yard sale. It took quite a bit of time to put some "sets" together with all the right pieces but I was successful, for the most part.  Whatever doesn't sell will be donated. It's not coming back into my house!

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.