July 8, 2013

The Teenager

I have another cat that is often forgotten about. It isn't because she isn't loved or given attention, it's because she hates people, noise, and all another animals. She's a recluse and prefers it that way. I suppose she's the epitome of why a lot of people dislike cats.

But she loves me. She was the first major "thing" I purchased when my husband and I bought our first home. I adopted her as a 6 week old kitten from a local shelter. She's a pretty kitty, with a unique marking on the bridge of her nose that makes her special to me.

She turned 13 this past April. So far she's lived through a complete renovation of an 80 year old home, outlived 1 dog, watched me bring home 2 baby boys, dealt with the adoption of another cat that she still hisses at daily six years later, survived a move (which was completely traumatizing to her) and most recently, dealing with the addition of large puppy to our home. She's like the Grandma of the house. She's seen it all.

When I take her to the vet, they are surprised she's as old as she is and told me she had the best looking teeth they've seen on a senior cat! I guess I should be proud of that, although I'm not sure I can take much credit for it. It's not like I brush her teeth. I'm not that cat crazy! Her diet is simple. Dry cat food and lots of water.  She will eat some wet cat food but not consistently and she won't eat cat treats.  She is the easiest cat on the face of the earth.

In the last two years, she's had some trouble reaching certain parts of her body to groom herself so the Furminator has become her best friend. She LOVES being brushed so it's a win-win for both of us.

I find myself eying her more frequently for any signs of age-related trouble.  She's been a faithful companion for so many years it will be very hard to lose her.

One of her favorite things to do is to sit on the bathroom counter in the morning while I'm getting ready for work. She can't jump up there anymore so she'll meow at my feet letting me know what she wants. She also loves to drink right from the sink.


I hope she sticks around for another 10+ years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.