July 25, 2013

Homemade Refrigerated Dill Pickles

I grow cucumbers every summer in my garden.  I like to call myself the Cucumber Whisperer because I get some pretty awesome cukes out of my garden year after year.  Nothing store bought (or farm stand bought) tastes as fresh as the ones I pick from my garden.  They have a distinct taste that come the winter months, I miss terribly. If only I could grow them year-round!

I grow really large cucumbers, see?

At times cucumbers take over my kitchen counters. I'm not a canner and I have no idea how to do it, so imagine my glee when I found a very simple recipe to make dill pickles! Thank you Family Fun magazine!

Seriously, this recipe is so easy. The most difficult thing about it was finding where to buy dill seeds!  Local Amish Market to the rescue once again.... love that place!



 Proof dill seed does exist!

The Recipe*:

Step 1 ~ Gather the ingredients.

Step 2 ~ Slice your cucumbers and put them in a jar ... lengthwise, in chips, whichever way your prefer



Step 3 ~ Boil water, vinegar, sugar and spices - the brine - for about 10 minutes



Step 4 ~  Remove the brine from the heat source and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and fresh dill

Step 5 ~ Strain the brine and pour "the juice" over the cucumbers. Re-add the reserved spices into the jar and shake it gently




Step 6 ~ Put the jar in the fridge and let them cure for 24 hours.

Step 7 ~ At exactly 24 hours plus 1 second, eat and enjoy! They are sooo good!



Now my picky son says they are too sweet ... so the next batch I will greatly decrease the amount of sugar or leave it out completely.  I'm certain the recipe will work either way.

Making your own pickles doesn't get any easier than this!

The Ingredients:

2 pounds firm cucumbers
1.5 cups white vinegar
1.5 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp coarse salt, such as kosher
2 tsp dill seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
8 sprigs fresh dill (I used 1 tsp of dried drill weed)

*Recipe from the Family Fun magazine, August 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.