December 3, 2012

My $70 Mistake

Three years ago I finally convinced my husband to have someone come in and paint our kitchen/family room, two-story entry, and the hallway upstairs. It was a big job and he did not want to do it.  I didn't want him to do it because I wanted it done as quickly as possible and you know how it usually goes when you do things yourself. Yes, you save money ... but the time it takes and there are the unforeseen interruptions. Sometimes it's just easier to pay someone to do it. The painter we hired did a great job and now I could finally decorate the rooms the way I wanted, which included buying new curtains.

Curtains are a necessary evil. I really don't like them and picking them out is a nightmare for me. After trying a few stores with no luck, I went to JCP.com and found exactly what I was looking for. The panels hanging over my patio door were about 3 inches too long but I just pinned them up, fully intending to get them hemmed. Ha!

I've vacuumed and refreshed the curtains every so often over the past three years but never washed them ... until Thanksgiving weekend. In the midst of cleaning the house and prepping for Christmas, I finally took the time to take them down and wash them. I looked for the tag for washing instructions but apparently I had removed the tag. No problem, I thought. I'll just wash them on delicate and toss in the dryer and re-hang them damp because the other thing I hate doing is ironing. What could possibly go wrong, right?

When I took them out of the dryer, they smelled so nice ... and I decided to "hem" them before rehanging them. The liner behind the curtains was acting a bit weird (wasn't laying quite right) but I figured it was because I had just washed them, I'd hem it, lightly press it, and all would be okay.

All was not okay.

After the hemming (seam tape!), I rehung the one panel and stared in disbelief - the panel was now 6 inches too short. THEY SHRUNK. But worse than that? The liner behind the panel (yet to be hemmed) did not shrink and was now hanging 6 inches below the panel. Seriously?!? 

Lucky for me, JCP.com still sells the same curtains (on sale!) and had the same color I had purchase three years before. The new panels arrived the other day. They have been hung and yes, they are still too long and need to be hemmed.  The tag clearly says DRY CLEAN ONLY. Next time I'm leaving it to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.