October 11, 2012

5th Grade Camp

Yesterday my 5th grader left for camp. His school takes the entire 5th grade class on a special trip every October.  It's anxiety inducing for parents who cannot chaperon for one reason or another. But on the other hand, it's a great opportunity for him to exert some independence and not have Mom there to save the day.

He was in tears before he left which had me in tears too ... but I kissed him good bye and told him it's normal to be nervous, he's going to have the best time, and he'll always remember his 5th grade trip.

So far, so good.  And lucky for me I have a friend who is chaperoning this trip with her daughter. I have a spy!  She has sent me a text a few times to let me know that he's fine.

Last night around 9pm my younger son was really feeling the absence.  He said, "I guess I know what it's like to be the only child. I don't like it. I have no one to play with. When does he come home again?!"

Awww ... he loves his big brother. A feeling that isn't exactly reciprocated!

5pm Friday can't come fast enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.