July 5, 2012

Happy After the 4th

I am alive, despite ignoring the blog for a few days.  That's what happens when I have a few days off from work - I unplug.  It's tiring looking at a computer screen all the time and I'm honestly surprised I'm not blind yet!

In honor of the 4th, I baked!  It helped that we were invited to a BBQ and I needed to bring something.  A few weeks ago I had picked up a Pillsbury "seasonal" cake mix and it was perfect for this occasion.  I used 2 8-inch round pans to bake the cake. After it cooled, I used waxed dental floss to slice off the tops of the cakes to make them even and flat.  It's a great trick that works every time!

I have a few different go-to buttercream icing recipes and this time I decided to go with the recipe that uses crisco because I was worried a recipe using real butter wouldn't hold up in this heat and humidity.  I mixed my buttercream icing and decided to tint some of it red for an added surprise inside the cake.




I even crumb coated it!


And then decided to go all fancy-schmancy:



I must say, decorating a cake with all rosettes was so EASY!  I may never decorate a cake any other way!



Forgive me for not snapping a picture once the cake was cut, but I'll assume you have a good imagination and can picture how it looked inside.  The cake got rave reviews, for taste too!

I hope you had a great 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.