July 9, 2012

Cake Batter Ice Cream, Take 2

The first recipe I tried was horrible. So horrible in fact, I threw it away so I can't even reference it!  I do know it called for adding an egg to the mix.  I hesitated doing that because hello? Raw egg in ice cream?  But being the rule-follower that I am, I followed the recipe.  I should have listened to that little voice in the back of my head telling me this wasn't going to work.  The flavor of the ice cream was fine (a little too sweet actually) but it never hardened properly so when the results were put in the freezer, it froze and tasted more like ice milk instead of ice cream.

After giving it some thought, I decided that a good Cake Batter Ice Cream recipe should be based off a vanilla ice cream recipe. So that's what I did.  I altered the Vanilla Ice Cream included in the Cuisinart recipe booklet that came with my ice cream maker.


Once it looked nice and thick (after about 15 minutes of churning) I added rainbow sprinkles.




I used some cute little Glad summer-themed containers to make single servings.  The recipe filled 8 perfectly. And I added another sprinkle of sprinkles on top.



The verdict? Perfect.  Absolutely perfect!  Some cake batter ice creams I have tasted are overly flavored and very sweet.  This is not like that.  The boys enjoyed it, topping it off with some chocolate sauce because God forbid they eat ice cream without it!


Cake Batter Ice Cream!
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup white cake batter (dry)
pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Sprinkles!

(The original vanilla ice cream recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar but I decreased the amount of sugar for this recipe because of the addition of the cake batter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.