June 12, 2012

Are We Ready?

I think we're ready:


I think it's safe to say we are more than ready.  Not included in this picture are a crate and 2 fancy gates.  Puppy pickup day is F-R-I-D-A-Y.  For some reason I feel like I'm preparing for the birth of a baby. I guess in some ways it is like that because life is about to change!

The timing couldn't be better too ... because I found Son #2's dwarf hamster lifeless late Sunday night.  This wasn't a complete surprise. About three weeks ago I found him near death in his cage.  He wasn't eating and was walking around like he was drunk and his eyes were barely open. He kept trying to get out of the cage which was odd, because every time we opened the cage he ran around like an insane nut trying to get away from our hands. So I knew something wasn't right but he perked back up and seemed to be better. He was eating and drinking. 

Sunday night I went to check on him and made my usual "smooch" sound to get his attention - nothing. I opened the cage door, which always made him come out of hiding - nothing.  When I was able to stick my finger into his nest without any movement, I knew ... I decided not to tell my son until he got home from school yesterday.  We had a little burial and made him a grave stone out of a flat rock and a sharpie.

Rest in Peace, Joe-Joe. You were a cute, frisky little thing.

But seriously, no more rodents. Over the years we've had more than enough. Fish, crabs, hermit crabs.  I know it's my fault because I am the one who purchase all of these things, mostly in an attempt to give the experience to my boys. What the heck was a thinking?! 

Our current pet count is 2 cats. And as of Friday, add 1 dog.  More than enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.