May 8, 2012

Apple Cider Donuts

I realized over the weekend that I've been slacking the in baking department lately, mostly due to the home renovations projects that are still on-going. And for whatever reason (PMS), I began craving homemade donuts and remembered a recipe that I had clipped and tucked away. When I realized I actually had all of the ingredients on hand, well, you know what happened next.

I mixed up the batter like so,


while I was waiting for this baby to heat up!



Then dropped the batter by teaspoon into the donut-crevices and generously sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top before I closed the lid.



Two and a half minutes later - it's insane how quickly this thing bakes! - I had these:


For added fun and calories, I gently topped the donuts with spray butter and more cinnamon sugar when they cooled. 

The verdict? Really really good!  Son #2 loved them. Son #1 wouldn't try them (he has issues - I could devote an entire blog to his eating issues! lol) 

The recipe (clipped from a magazine, but I do not recall which one):

Apple Cider Doughnuts
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup apple cider, plus more for brushing
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I used regular sour cream b/c that's what I had)
2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 eggs
8 tsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated (I used jarred ground ginger)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Whisk flour, baking soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix remaining wet ingredients.  Add wet mixtures to flour mixture; whisk until smooth.

Use the babycakes donut maker like I did above ... or bake at 325 degrees using a 6-indentation donut pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 325 for 13-15 minutes, or until donuts spring back when lightly pressed. Once cool, brush tops withs apple cider (I used spray butter) and toss in cinnamon sugar to coat.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.