April 13, 2012

Spinach and Cheese Calzones

I am not a chef. I find recipes online or in magazines and if they appeal to me, I will attempt to make them. Unfortunately for me, I live in a house with very boring (and picky) eaters.  Every once in a while I'll put a new meal in front of them and they'll eat it, but say they aren't crazy about it. It makes me feel like a bad cook but I know I'm not since my extended family enjoys my cooking!

During the work week I keep things very simple because there isn't enough time to make a time-consuming meal. When I get home, they just want to eat and quick.  If I'm in a meal planning cycle, I'm prepared but if I'm currently on strike, well, PB&J will have to do.  My husband, love him, but he is zero help in this area unless I say, "I have steaks." That's when his ears perk up and his tail starts to wag.

When I got home yesterday, the boys had been treated to McDonald's by their friend's grandmother so I didn't have to feed them and my husband was on his way out the door to meet a friend for a few drinks. Cue heavenly music - I can eat whatever I want!

I mixed thawed spinach, part-skim ricotta, mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder.


Then I took a tube of refrigerated pizza dough and cut it into 4 equal parts and stretched it into a circle. Using a baking sheet and some parchment paper, I arranged the 4 circles on the baking sheet and placed about a 1/2 cup of the spinach mixture on half of the circle, folded the dough over and pinched the ends with a fork to seal the calzone.


I baked these babies for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.


These were so good I ate two!!  As you will see by the recipe below, I did change a few things to use what I had on hand. I'm positive the original recipe would be just as good if not better!  The remaining two calzones I wrapped and put in the freezer after they had cooled ... so I'll have to let you know how that turns out.

Spinach and 3-Cheese Calzones

13.8 oz tube of refrigerate pizza dough (I used Pillsbury thin crust)
10 oz thawed spinach
1 cup part-skim ricotta
1 cup shredded fontina cheese
1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
(or just substitute 1 cup mozzarella like I did)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

Slice a 13.8 oz tube of refrigerated pizza dough into 6 (I did 4) equal pieces. Shape into balls and stretch or roll out on a lightly floured surface. Arrange the circles on the baking sheet and fill with the spinach mixture, spreading on one side of each circle. Fold dough over the filling. Pinch and crimp the edges to seal.

Bake for 14-15 minutes at 425.  Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping (I used Victoria's)

**Recipe from April 2012 Parenting Magazine**

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.