April 11, 2012

Kids and Sleepovers

My oldest son experienced his first sleepover this past weekend. It was a birthday party for a boy in his class. They "camped out" in an RV camper in the backyard (it's still too chilly for tents around here!)  He was excited but nervous as the clock ticked down to the start of the party.  The birthday boy has been in his class at school for the past two years so I'm familar with hearing stories about T and I've talked to T's mom  a few times so I felt comfortable letting him attend the party but I wasn't convinced he'd actually end up sleeping there!

Surprisingly, this is actually the first time a sleepover has even been offered! I guess it's more of a girl thing to do.  I have two brothers and I actually do not remember them attending sleepovers frequently when they were young. But I know I frequently had sleepovers with my girlfriends!

Whe we arrived at T's house, many boys were standing on the front lawn.  Twelve 9 & 10 year old boys were sleeping over.  I told T's mom she was certifiably insane! She laughed and said, "Well I was smart. I'm making my husband sleep outside in the RV with them!"  Smart indeed.  I can only imagine the smell inside that RV!

As I went to leave, Son #1 barely gave me a nod. I guess it's not cool to kiss your mother when you are 10. But Son #2 was almost inconsolable.  He was so upset he could not stay at the party. Lucky for me, taking him out for pizza and grabbing a Redbox DVD cheered him right up.  With Daddy off at work and #1 at the sleepover, we enjoyed a quiet evening on the couch watching Jack & Jill ~ which was probably the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time.  Adam Sandler needs to have his head examined. The movie budget was approximately $79 million dollars for 91 minutes of a terrible movie so that equals about $868,132 spent for each minute!  That money should be paid to me for wasting my time!

I'm happy to report the boy had a great time at the sleepover but came home m.i.s.e.r.a.b.l.e due to the lack of sleep so Saturday was a very long day, filled with tears at times, because his head and body were sleep deprived.  He's already planning when and where his next sleepover will be ... umm, we'll just see about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.