February 8, 2012

In the News

Social Workers often get a bad reputation. Just like police officers do. There are bad social workers and bad police officers but that doesn't mean they are all bad.  A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the entire profession. I think social workers and police officers have a lot in common and often their hands are tied and under the law, they can only do so much yet they are often asked why they didn't do more.

The stunning news out of Washington state over the weekend left me dumbfounded. I have followed the Susan Powell case in the news and on TV and reading about the deaths of her children at the hands of their biological father left me stunned and angry.  I cannot phathom the grief Susan's parents and family are feeling, let alone the guilt that poor social worker must feel.  She was acting in accordance with the law, whether she agreed with it or or not. And sadly, she is now left to remember hearing the cries of those little boys in that house and she couldn't do anything to help them.  Court supervised visitation should occur at a neutral location, especially given the circumstances of this case. If this were the law, I believe these innocent boys would still be alive.

We all knew he was a monster raised by a monster but I don't think anyone anticipated this outcome. I hope he rots in hell for all eternity.

Rest in peace, Susan, Charlie and Braden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.