January 30, 2012

CakePops!

I love Kohl's. I have a sick fascination with that store. So when I was able to purchase the Babycakes CakePop Maker for $18 back in December? I did NOT hesitate!  I read some very mixed reviews about it online but I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked!

I decided to use a regular box cake mix for my first time. Every time I've tried to make cake batter from scratch, I'm always disappointed (see Donut Maker entry!)  I only used half of the mix though, adding half the water, oil and used two eggs instead of three.  

Using a disposable pastry bag, I filled the reservoir to the top:


Exactly four minutes later, I had this:



They are so perfectly round!!  They lifted out so easily too.

While looking through the enclosed recipe book, I found a recipe for a glaze that uses canned icing and melted chips. I'm not a fan of the taste of wilton's colored/flavored melting chocolate so I decided to give this a try.  I used a 1/2 a can of vanilla frosting and 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips (which happened to be striped red, since they were leftover from Christmas.) 


I melted them separately in the microwave and then combined them to get this:


It should be very runny. It should not stiff at all or the cakepops will not coat properly. Also, before I inserted the sticks into the cakeballs, I dipped each stick into melted chips to help secure the cakeball to the stick.  This worked well. The only time a cakeball fell off the stick was when the glaze started to stiffen up and was too heavy.  You will need to re-microwave the glaze a few times during the dipping process. In the end, I ran out of the pink glaze and had to make more (this time adding chocolate chips to the vanilla icing) so you will definietly need the whole can of frosting, even though this is technically only a half a batch of cakepops!


The verdict??

So easy.

So quick.

Very little mess.

AND They are really good! They are light, like a tiny cupcake, and not heavy like a traditional cakepop that is mixed with canned frosting before it's dipped.  I definitely prefer them this way.  The glazed-coating does stay hard (because you melted some chocolate into the icing) and it keeps the cake inside moist.  The only downside to making them this way is that you can't form them into a shape you may want. However, I still plan to make more this weekend and turn them into little (round!) footballs for the Super Bowl!


1 comment:

  1. i just love those cake pops that you made they are so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

A new friend! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.